26 May 2009

Today's nutritious recipe from Kinder Kitchen - homemade baked beans

My daughter is nearly 20 months old now and being the keen cook that I am I have cooked for her most days. I know many of your will find it difficult to coo everyday but my philosophy is that we do what we can. My recipes are available to you all to make the cooking process a little easier and give you ideas - hopefully!?

Anyway after 14 months of cooking for her - what do you know. She has become a fussy eater!!! One thing I have learnt from this experience is that no matter how many different foods you introduce to your baby/ies, no matter how many homemade meals you make - there may come a time when they just get fussy and that is just how it is and you can't blame yourself. Well that's what I am telling myself. Anyway, at the moment she loves three things: baked beans, pasta with tomato sauce and pizza. I decided the other day to make my own homemade baked bean sauce and I served it with pasta and it was a success. You just use the basic tomato sauce recipe (although i have varied it slightly below) and add a tin of cannelloni beans to it.

Homemade baked beans (from 9 months)

Ingredients:

1 tin of tomatoes
½ medium onion
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon mixed herbs/teaspoon of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon of oil
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup (helps to sweeten the sauce although you do not need to add this)
1 drained tin of cannelloni beans

Method:

  1. Add a teaspoon of oil to the saucepan and add the finely chopped/grated onion and crushed garlic. Fry on a low heat for 5 minutes
  2. Add the tin of tomatoes, mixed herbs/thyme and ketchup and some black pepper
  3. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes and then add the tin of beans and cook for a further 10 minutes
  4. Stir the mixture a couple of times and once cooked remove from the heat and serve with pasta, on toast or just on it's own.
Kinder Kitchen Serving suggestion:

This recipe is great for adult too - just add a pinch or two of dried chilli's to liven up your taste buds and senses on a Sunday morning!

No comments: