21 June 2013

Healthy kid's recipes - Homemade soda bread in under 45 minutes

Healthy kids - Homemade soda bread in under 45 minutes

It's nearly the weekend and Saturday mornings for me are a little more leisurely these days. My children have started sleeping in a little later (until 06.45) which after nearly 4 years of being woken up at 5.30 is a welcome break.

The smell of freshly baking bread in the morning while sipping on a cup of coffee helps my senses awaken and sets me up for the day. I have a dear friend who tells me time after time that she can't cook (although she can) and says that I say everything is simple once you know how. She says I make it look easy and it is not as simple as I make out. This bread really is simple to make (I promise) and the most difficult thing about this recipe is tracking down the buttermilk in your local supermarket.

This easy peasy healthy soda bread takes five minutes to prepare, does not need any time to rise and you put is straight in the oven to bake for 35 minutes. By the time you have brushed the kids teeth, taken a shower and had your choice of morning beverage it's ready to enjoy. Whether your choice of topping be smoked salmon, bacon and avocado, chocolate spread or a simple spread of butter, what a more delicious way to start the day with your own steaming bread with no nasty additives.

Since making my own bread, I rarely buy sliced bread anymore. It has little nutritious value and due it being processed is packed full of preservatives, salt and sugar. I bought some hotdog rolls a while back and they managed to hide themselves at the back of the cupboard and when I found them they were two weeks out of date. However, they were still spongy and had no mould on them. This made me think about how bad processed bread must be for us. So, give this recipe a go, and let me know what you think.

Easy peasy healthy soda bread
Ingredients:
200g spelt flour 
150g plain flour
A carton of buttermilk (around 287ml)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 egg
Method:
Preheat oven to 200C
  1. Place the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and mix well
  2. Break the egg into a separate bowl and whisk lightly with a folk
  3. Add the egg and buttermilk to the flour and mix well together. If the mixture is very wet add an additional tbsp or two of flour
  4. Remove from the bowl and knead for 3o seconds or so and shape the dough as you wish and with a knife cut a cross into the top of the dough (this aids the cooking process and makes sure that the bread cooks evenly)
  5. Place the dough onto a floured baking tray and bake in the oven for 35 minutes

Top tip:
If you just want a white loaf, just use 350g plain white flour

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I tried this bread recipe at home over the weekend and it was so easy and really tasty. My husband was not too keen but my 7 yr old boy really liked it. Thanks Kinder Kitchen!