16 June 2013

Healthy kid's recipes - cooking together with your children - Homemade flatbreads

Healthy kids - cooking together with your children


I cook with my two children as much as possible.
My little boy will spend hours with me in the
kitchen. Sometimes he will make his own concoctions up in a bowl next to me whilst I cook or he will actually help me prepare a dish. Yesterday we made meatballs in tomato sauce. He helped me cut up some onions and he peeled the garlic. He sometimes complains about the onions stinging his eyes but I tell him that it is a very important job to cut the onions! By being encouraging and taking my time with him he really enjoys it. My life is very busy as I work part-time but I love to cook for my family so I use this time with Louis as our special time together. His favourite thing at the moment is to make flat breads. He usually eats them as quickly as I cook them! The recipe for these is below.

I recently bought some child friendly knives. They are serrated but blunt and can easily cut most fruit and some vegetables. I set up a little chopping board next to mine and he happily chops away. It not only gets him used to touching different foods and understanding the basics of food preparation, he also gets to practise his finely motor skills. The knives I bought are from Pampered Chef, although I am not sure if they still sell them. In my cookery classes I use either disposable plastic knives - the ones from Poundland are the best as they are really serrated and cut fruit well or use simple everyday cutlery knives.

Homemade flat breads (or Roti)

Ingredients

200g plain flour
100ml water
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

Method
  1. Place all the ingredients into a mix together to form a dough. It should be soft and not too wet. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes
  2. Take a small ball of the dough and roll it into a pancake shape 
  3. Place a little oil in the frying pan using a paper towel to spread it out. Cook the flatbreads on both sides until they start to bubble and get brown spots
  4. Serve straight away with meat balls, curry, stir fried chicken or eat jut on their own!

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/04/11/the-power-of-we



 

No comments: